Gas Safety in The Home

Many of us use Gas to cook or heat our homes, in fact in our very first house that Asa and I had together we only had two gas fires to heat the entire house, getting up on a cold winter’s morning was not pleasant!

I remember having some friends over to stay after a particularly rowdy party, we had bodies sleeping everywhere and one of them had the great idea to put the gas fire on in the middle of the night, and promptly fell asleep, luckily someone woke up and the duvet he was covered in had gone practically black, but had not yet set on fire, thank goodness, but I don’t think it was very far from doing so!

Ever since then I have been very weary of gas, so here is a very simple guide to Gas Safety.

If you smell gas

Open all windows and doors to let the Gas out

Turn Off The Gas Supply

DO NOT light a match or a lighter

Do not switch any electrical equipment on and off

Telephone your Gas emergency number and get an engineer to come and check for a gas leak.

And some top tips for Gas Safety

  • Have all of your gas appliances checked annually.
  • Always ensure the  gas engineer is registered, it may be cheaper to get someone’s mate, but it won’t be safer and there is no guarantee they are qualified.
  • Recognise the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
  • Check gas appliances for signs that they are not working correctly
  • Invest in a Carbon Monoxide Alarm
  • Only use the gas appliances for their intended purpose
  • Ensure all appliances have enough ventilation.

Most of these seem like common sense, but it’s better to be over cautious, I dread to think what would have happened if the duvet had set light!

This is a collaborative post





Leave a comment